Monday 3 May 2010

Report - Stepping on 4 Polymorphs before top 8



I got the chance to go to another Regional.
This time it played very well for me as I was able to get in the top8.
However the day didn’t start so well. After we arrived at Coimbra and went in some circles around it I was pointed by a woman that we were on the wrong place, and that I had the wrong address (GoogleMaps let me down for the first time). I got really upset which only got me to get the name of the place where we were going to play wrong. Luckily the place with the wrong name (that place actually existed) was not that far away from the tournament place. And after some time and when I have the right name we finally get there.
I want to thank the Judges and the players that didn’t mind to wait for us, so our trip wasn’t a useless loss of time and money. Very big thanks to all of them.
So anyway, once again I was prompted to play Jacerator with some changes. This time I hadn’t the choice to play Jund, since my friend was going. Once again Miranda ranted to me about  going with fog and not with a UW control list. I just replied that I would if I had the cards as I did when I went to Viana. Well this time it wasn’t so bad as the month before, since I was able to get some cards. I was still missing Jace 2.0 and Elspeth but there were people that could and did borrow me them and some other cards. In the end I borrowed about 10 cards and had the list I wanted.
As about the list, although I mostly play some sort of UW control mostly at all seasons (if there is one) I didn’t had any preferential list, and to top it all I hadn’t any testing with the cards from ROE. So I ended up relying on Miranda for that. He quickly pointed me 2 lists, 1 made by him and another one from a player on Magic League (Psychatok).
I ended up taking a slight variation of the Psychatok list. Miranda tends to play and made aggressive control lists and I’m more used and comfortable with slowest ones.
And I played this:
Main Deck

So to the report itself:
1st Round
UG Polymorph
1st Game
Not much to say about it, as he’s list wasn’t that good and when I played a Jace 2.0, after he played a polymorph into a Emrakul, I just bounced it and is next Emrakul, that he got from another polymorph, and sealed the game with a Elspeth.
Out
-4 Spreading seas
In
+4 Negate
2nd Game
The same as game 1.
Record 1-0-0
Round 2
UR Polymorph
1st Game
He doesn’t have a optimal list like the guy from the first game, and he admits that he hadn’t the cards to make it like he wanted (Jaces mostly). This game gets long as I get some time to get a win condition on table.
Out -4 Spreading Seas
In 4 Negate
2nd Game
Same as game 1, but a lot faster.
Record 2-0-0
Round 3
UG Polymorph
I know the guy this time and I get to play a polymorph list for the third time while he gets to play against UW for the third time too.
1st Game
My draws where so bad in this game that it was actually like a joke. He hardcasted one Emrakul with the help of 5 spawn tokens 8 lands and a Garruk. And I sat there looking at him…
Out
4 Spreading Seas
In
4 Negate
2nd Game
This game gets dragged for a long time. He takes his time to play and even after he knows he has lost, he still stalls by bouncing my Planeswalkers and tapping my creatures. He was clearly aiming at a tie, and I couldn’t blame him for it.
3rd Game
When we start shuffling we are warned that there’s only 5 minutes left. A tie it is.
Record 2-0-1
4th Round
Boss Naya with Vengevine
1st Game
He mulligans to 6 and I keep my 7 while winning the dice roll. He keeped a very slow hand, while I had 2 spreading seas to make it unplayable. After I drop Iona naming white we are on to the next game.
Out
1 Iona
1 Mind Spring
1 Spreading Seas
In
3 Celestial Purge
2nd Game
He keeps his hand while I mulligan to 6. I have a 2 turn spreading seas and once again a 4th turn day that gets rid of a Nacatl and 2 mana dorks. He strikes back with a vengevine. On my turn I drop Gideon that gets rid of Vengevine. He drops a Bloodbraid that cascades into noble and getting back vengevine, vengevine killed Gideon and bloobraid dropped me to 12. I drop a wall on my turn and oblivion on vengevine. On his turn he attacks with bloodbraid for 4 which kills my wall and drops a manabarbs that gets purged. On my turn I play jace and fateseal him putting a Ranger of Eos on the bottom. On is turn he drops a raging ravine and another mana barbs. Since I had no out for manabarbs at that time I just played spreading seas on his ravine and path on his noble. He had only 1 card on his hand at that time so I just kept fate sealing him until he conceded the turn before I would remove is library.
Record 3-0-1
Round 5
Mirror Miranda’s List
1st Game
He was a friend of mine and was 4-0-0, and we just play. This goes like a typically mirror match. His list lets him ramp faster than me but I have Iona and more copies of Jace and Oring. The game get’s dragged until I get Iona out and kill him.
Out
4 Spreading Seas
1 Path to exile
1 Day of Judgement
In
4 Negate
1 Emrakul
1 Kozilek
2nd
I kept a very clunky hand, of Emrakul, Oblivion, Day of Judgment and 3 island and a Colonnade. He starts with island into a borderpost. I draw another colonnade and drop it. He plays a colonnade too and pass, I draw another island and drop my second colonnade.  He plays a Kotwo fetch’s a plains and drops a island. I draw Kozilek drop an island and pass. He drops an Elspeth gives +3+3 and flying to kotwo and takes me to 15. I draw a chalice play an island and Oring the Elspeth. On his turn he drops me to 13 drops another kotwo, a spreading seas on one of my colonnades. I draw a mindspring drop an island and play the chalice for 2 counters which got negated by him. On his turn e bashes me to 9 drops a 1 tectonic edge and pass. I draw a tectonic edge, and I’m staring at 2 kotwo while the only out on my hand was a Day but I had only 1 white mana that could be destroyed by the tectonic edge, fortunately for me he missed that fact but I was still in bad position, has I didn’t have 2 white mana. I drop an island and mindspring for 4 which nets me island, glacial fortress, chalice, negate. I had the white mana that I needed and passed, he dropped a land attacked me to 5 and passed, it still looked he didn’t want to destroy my only white mana. I draw a jace, drop Glacial Fortress and play Day of judgment getting rid of the 2 kotwo. On his turn he tries a mind spring for 6 which I negated.
After this the game gets dragged a bit with exchanges from both parts. I then get to a state where I had an Elspeth that made some couple of tokens and he had a jace. He Martial Coupped for 5 tokens and passed. After I draw plains I had in my hand 1 Kozileck, Emrakul, 1 Chalice and the plains. In play I had a chalice at 3 and another one at 2, 8 lands and the Elspeth. I drop the plains and I have a total of 13 manas. I’m at 5 and he has 5 tokens and a jace, so I need to drop the chalice at least at 2 and drop the kozilek, make a token with Elspeth and hope he didn’t have a path or an Oring. He doesn’t so he bounces kozilek to my hand with jace, attacks me with the tokens, I block 1 token with one of my own. On my turn I just drop the emrakul and pump him with Elspeth for the win since he was at 16.
Record 4-0-1
Round 6
UW Polymorph
1st Game
After I get an Elspeth and a Gideon Oringed, I can easily get rid of 2 polymorph into Emrakul with a Oring and a Day of Judgment. Shortly after I played Iona at white which gets me the deal.
Out
4 Wall of Omen
In
4 Negate
2nd Game
My early Jace got negated and he got a 6 turn Iona naming white. I Mindspring for 6 at my turn but I don’t get a jace. I still hope to draw it on my next turn but that would be too good, so we are on to the next game. He had Iona on is sideboard.
Out
1 Day of judgement
In
1 Mind Control
3rd Game
I kept a hand of chalice, Iona, Oring and 4 lands. When I attempt a Chalice at 2 he negates it and on his turn he drops a Khalni Garden. I didn’t have an out for Iona so on my turn I draw a chalice played a land and Oring on the token so he couldn’t polymorph. I pass and he does nothing besides dropping a land. I draw mind control now I have an out for an Iona and I can ramp to my own Iona and I tap 6 lands and drop the chalice at 3. On his turn he rings it and pass the turn back and I draw Martial Coup, I drop a land and martial coup for 5. On his turn He drops a land plays 2 See Beyond and passes the turn. I draw a land and attack him to 15 and drop a land. On his turn he plays a coup for 1 and tries a polymorph that gets Emrakul (I’m so unlucky). I draw Gideon, which gave me an out for Emrakul but I would have to take a it from him before doing so. So he attacks with Emrakul  I sacrifice my 5 tokens and the Oring that targeted the token. On my turn I draw another land drop Giddeon kill emrakul and pass the turn. On his turn he hardcasts an Iona on white and things look good for me now. On my turn I get a Day of judgment, I drop a land and Mind Control on Iona, attack with the Gideon dropping him to 9. On his turn he tries to Martial Coup but that’s an Illegal play since now I was the controller of Iona and my opponents couldn’t play white spells, he then activates and attacks with a colonnade that gets blocked by Iona, I get rid of his other colonnade with a Tectonic Edge and attack with his Iona and Gideon for the win.
Record 5-0-1
Round 7
ID He was playing RB Burn

So I got my ticket for nationals on my second try and can relax until then now.

Pros:
-Getting in the top 8.
-All the great people that didn’t mind to wait for us. Thank you all.
-The mistakes made by my opponents that let me win games that I shouldn’t.
-Getting my second elspeth at the last minute when I though I never would. Thanks to the guy that borrowed it to me even though I didn’t know you from anywhere.
Cons:
-GoogleMaps giving me a wrong destination.
-Getting lost while not being lost…
-Someone forgetting to bring an Elspeth for me…
-Wasn’t able to find anyone that wanted to be spanked so I could let my rage dwindle.

That’s all folks, until next Time.

2 comments:

  1. Kinda lucky with the 2 elspeth's.

    Good luck in the NATIONALS

    ReplyDelete