Monday 17 May 2010

Getting Brilliant


It's been a while since I play competitive magic, so I have been wandering in the regionals checking out decklists and new t3chs.
So I got a few impressions:

- Sovereign Mythic is actually decaying now since the UW fever has been dropping since many players shifted to UWr Walkers which is a thougher matchup, and the consequent raise of jund players since it can beat walkers.

- The geojund, isn't actually better than the normal jund. It just gives a little better odd's against control while hurting mirror.

- Mono red decks are officially out of the competition. The approach of devasting summons is just terrible.

Basically the meta is stabling into a circle of UWr, UW and various takes of Jund. I think I can consider Mythic as a tier1 also.


Still, there is one deck that really deserved to be better ranked, which is Polymorph. It can easily beat the UW's, go toe to toe with Jund and Mythic. Still, it can lose to some random decks such as allies and mono red's. Probabilly the deck needs a little more tune so it can be considered as a tier1.

Well, I don't think I got much more to add of the actual state of standard since I have been a little out. However, until Portuguese Natz there are still 3 T2 GP's, so they will be definently shaking standard meta.
I am ceptic to believe that new decks will appear, or that a Jund list will be that revolucionary, but I am looking forward to see ROE cards to appear in upgrading decks and leading them to new game plans.
The first GP is already this weekend, and I bet 2 Jund's, 1 UW and 2 UWR at least will be part of the top8.

Now, there was another thing I would like to talk about. It was about Brilliant Esper.
First of, the decklist designed by Alex Viksnins which top8ed Boston 5K:

Creatures [15]

1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Gideon Jura
4 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Liliana Vess
4 Wall of Omens

Spells [21]

4 Brilliant Ultimatum
3 Day of Judgment
4 Esper Charm
1 Path to Exile
4 Ponder
1 Smother
4 Spreading Seas

Lands [25]

4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Island
4 Marsh Flats
3 Plains
3 Swamp

SIDEBOARD

2 Celestial Purge
1 Doom Blade
1 Duress
1 Identity Crisis
4 Kor Firewalker
2 Kor Sanctifiers
4 Negate

Well, this deck, is a nice approach to the meta. It obviously kicks UW ass by having so many relevant spells. Against jund, it has only to survive until it gathers 7 mana for the win, but still, with no flashfreezes whatsoever it's hard to fight through goblin ruinblasters.
Against the rest of the meta, it looks quite good. Still, it needs a little bit tunning, and I believe it will be figured at the GP. I would keep an eye at this one.
I am so sorry I got nothing else to post since I have been so far away from playing magic and got no testing results or whatsoever, but I think in a few days I will be back on track. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment