Monday 12 April 2010

Report - 5 Steps closer to Nationals but still 2 far away.


So this time I’m going to play Standard in the regionals.
So what deck should I take?
I was playing turbo fog in standard and I also have a Boros deck. My first choices was between this 2 at first, but when a friend of mine said he couldn’t go Jund joined my possibilities  and I ended playing Jund, borrowing my 2 decks to other people.
So I was going to play the deck that most people play but there are quite a bit of different builds.  So which one should I play or rather which one I wanted to play? There was another guy that was with me in this, since he would play Jund too but hadn’t decided which build to play.
So basically, we entered a quest to find the right build for which one of us.
He was faster to choose the desired build than me, he quickly decided by a Göertzen build only changing the Rampant Growth for Terminates and a revamped sideboard.
I took a lot of time to decide, actually I only got the complete list on the day before and only got some last cards on the place (I was rather lucky).
The build I played was one that got 9-0 on the first day of the GP Brussels and proceeded to a top8 finish piloted by Francesco Ciposlleschy. I only did 2 changes on the main list; one was intended, -1 Rootbound Crag +1 Raging Ravine, and  the other one was forced,-1 Dragonskull Summit +1 Lavaclaw reaches.
The sideboard was revamped by me, has I didn’t like some cards he had in it.
So the list was this:


Sideboard:
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
3 Deathmark
3 Duress
2 Doom Blade
2 Grim Discovery
1 Maelstrom Pulse
15 cards

I won´t say much about the sideboard, I will instead post my sideboard notes that I took to the tournament. It’s a lot more descriptive of what I wanted my side to do than saying this is good against this or against that.
So here it is:

UW Tapout Control

UWR

Grixis

Jacerator

Runeflare Trap
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
3Terminate
3 Duress
3Terminate
3 Duress
3Terminate
4Ruinblaster
3terminate
4Ruinblaster
3terminate
3 Duress
1 BituBlast
3 DeathMark
1 Bitublast
2Doomblade
1 BituBlast
2 Gdiscovery
1 Bitublast
3 Duress
1 BituBlast
1 Pulse
4 Bolt
2Doomblade
4 Bolt
4Ruinblaster
4 Leech
3 Duress
3 Nhawk
1 Pulse


3 Nhawk
4Ruinblaster
4 Leech
2 Gdiscovery
2 Bolt
1 Pulse
4 leech
3 Deathmark


4 Leech
1 Pulse

1 Pulse







2 GDiscovery









UW(b) Open the Vaults

Valakut Ramp

Polymorph

RDW | BR Burn

WW
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
4 Bolt
3 Duress
3 Nhawk
1 Pulse
4SiegeGang
3 Duress
3 Pulse
3 Duress
3Terminate
1Doomblade
1 BituBlast
1 Gdiscovery
1 BituBlast
4RuinBlaster
3 Pulso
2Doomblade
2SiegeGang
2Doomblade
1 BituBlast
3 DeathMark
3 Nhawk
4Ruinblaster
2Terminate
2Doomblade

3 DeathMark


1 Thrinax
1 Pulse
4Blightning
1 Pulse
1 bolt








3 Deathmark









Naya | Boros

Mono Green

Vampires

Bant | Mythic

Jund
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
Out
In
4Blightning
3 Deathmark
3 Nhawk
1 Pulse
3 Leech
1 Pulse
4 Leech
3 DeathMark
2 LBolt
2 Gdiscovery
2Terminate
2Doomblade
3 Leech
3 Deathmark

2 GDiscovery
1 BituBlast
1 Pulse
4 Leech
4 Blaster

1 Pulse

2Doomblade



1Doomblade
3Nighthawk
3 Deathmark
 
I actually played some games with this against the Göertzen build and it was mostly 50/50 for my surprise, the Broodmate Dragon proved not to be such a game breaker than I actually though, since most time when we got to Broodmate Dragon mana one of us would be mostly dead.
Siege-Gang proved to be very good whenever I played it (I had tried a build with one less Siege-Gang and 1 more Bituminous, but I abandoned that idea) and broken whenever I untapped with him on the board.
Now to the report.
I finished with 5-2 record and so did my friend who played the Göertzen build, but he wasn’t so happy with his sideboard has I was with mine.
So to the games:
 1st Round 
U/W  Tappout control
1st Game
I actually never thought I would win this one, I got stuck in 4 lands while he developed his mana  and hitting one of my ravines to get me stuck on 3 lands.  I already have gotten rid of 1 Jace with a Blighting and a Bolt, and at the time he got rid of one of my ravines he decided to go to the ultimate. He tried to keep me out of land but I had a lot of gas on my hand to play and was drawing even more. He counters a bunch of spells from my part while I’m now getting some lands into play. We eventually reach to a stalemate where he has 4 soldier tokens – from a Martial Coup – Jace with 9 counters and I have a Leech in play 5 untapped lands 1 Bituminous, 1 Bloodbraid, 1 siege gang and a Terminate on my hand-  this time he decides to Brainstorm instead of powering up Jace to 11 counters, so the 2 cards that he has in his hand are lands or irrelevant stuff, I decided to Bitublast on one of the tokens  so he hasn’t the chance to get a Counter Spell and if I hit a Blightning it would be  pretty good. I didn’t get the Blightning instead I got a Bloodbraid into a Thrinax – I can’t complain- he Oringed my Thrinax and passed the turn. On my turn I terminate a token activated 1 ravine and they all go to Jace.
On his turn he played Day of Judgement and I just kept attacking with the Ravine letting her eat a Colonnade and hitting home. He conceded showing me 3 Day of Judgment in his hand.
2nd  Game.
Not much to talk about this one. His 3rd turn Jace gets obliterated by my third turn Blightning,
His 4rd turn Jace gets destroyed by a Pulse, and a Bloodbraid into a Thrinax eat his life in a couple of turns.
Record 1-0

2nd Round
1st Game
Jund probably the Göertzen build
I’m on the play and he both go Leech, then he Blightnings –I discarded 1 bolt and a land to it- and I played a Thrinax he played a Garruk and put a token in play, on my turn I Blightning him – I had it In my starting hand – which got 2 of the 4 cards on is hand 1 siege gang and 1 broodmate and destroying Garruk  in the process. He then dropped a siege gang (I think) wich I Terminated and lead the way with a Siege-Gang from my part shortly after he was dead.
2nd game
The same as game 1 but this time he won since I never got removal to kill is 2nd turn leech.
3rd game
He once again starts with a 2nd turn leech and I kept a hand with 4 land a bolt 1 siege gang and a bitu blast, unfortunately for me He had 2 Blastminer to slow down my 5 turn plays while I only draw land and 2 additional Siege-Gangs to stay still on my hand until it was too late.
Record 1-1

3rd Round
WR Boros
1st Game
Well, I’m playing against my deck.
This was a crazy game, since he played 4 Rangers and got me on 1 life before I stabilized. He had 2-4 turns where any burn spell would kill me before I played Bloodbraid into Nighthawk who quickly got me out of his range.
2nd Game
There isn’t much to talk about this one since I get the nuts draw against him
Record 2-1

4th Round
WW Soldier Brew
1st Game
We traded creatures and removal for about 6, 7 turns. I’m at a point where I have 4 lands in play , 2 leech and 2 Bloodbraids in my hand where he only has 6 lands – one of them is a Emeria –  and 1 card in hand. I Drop a leech and pass. He draws captain of the watch and plays it. I draw a land play it and drop a Bloodbraid who it’s a Blightning making him discard is only card in hand a Plains and I pass the turn. He draws and plays a Conquerors’ Pledge and pass. Now I’m at 12 life have a Leech and a Bloodbraid in play, I need some sort of removal to get rid of Captain or a Pulse to hit the tokens. The odds where in my favor somehow but unfortunately I drew a CIPT land and my Braid got a Thrinax, so I have 2 Bloodbraids and a Leech facing a board of 9 2/2 soldiers and a Captain of the Watch GG.
2nd Game
He starts with a Honor of the Pure into a Firewalker then a Blademaster. My second turn Leech got Oringed and the Blademaster got a Terminate pointed to his head. After getting hit 2 3 times by the Firewalker I finally draw a Doomblade but 1 of the 2 cards he has on his hand is a Brave the Elements so he stays lives and I proceed to drop a Thrinax. He drops another Blademaster and hits me again with the Firewalker, I’m at 9 at this time. I drop a Bloodbraid that hits another Doomblade this time getting rid of the Firewalker.  He draws and plays a Oring on the Thrinax and attacks with the Blademaster which founded a Bloodbraid in is way. I draw a bolt that promptly kills the Blademaster and drop another Thrinax on his turn he drops a firewalker and pass, I drew a land played another thrinax and still had a land on my hand. He still had a card in his and too who was most likely a land. So he draws, and the 3rd Firewalker joined the ranks while the other one got me on 6. I draw a DeathMark and who got a Firewalker, attacked with the Thrinax is at 20 life. On his turn he drops a land attacks with the Firewalker and pass I got a Nighthawk drop it and attack with the Thrinax, he draws a purge and it’s GG.
Record 2-2

5th Round
Boss Naya
1st Game
It was a quick matchup where I killed pretty much anything relevant to him and ride a ravine into the dome.
2nd Game
Same has the first one but this time even faster.
Record 3-2

6th Round
Vampires
1st Game
I’m stuck at 3 lands and he has 3 Bloodghasts running GG.
2nd Game
He Kept a 7 hand with only one land to my mulligan to 6 and got promptly devastated.
3rd Game
On this game there wasn’t mana problems for either of us but I played 3 Thrinax in my first 6  turns and his Vampire Lord got Terminated immediately after hitting play, he even wasted a Ravine from my part but a Grim Discovery got a Thrinax and the Ravine back  to once again join his bros and give me the Game.

7th Round
Jund Göertzen build with Explore instead of Rampant Growths
1st Game
He started first and we both mulligan to 6 and ramped on the second turn with a explore , on my turn I played leech, he then played Blightning –I discarded a land and a bolt- dropped a land attacked with the leech and decided to pump it but  a Lightning Bolt killed him before getting fat. He now has 3 cards in his hand and I Blightning him and hit a Siege-Gang and a Broodmate Dragon. He draws plays a land and drops a Siege-Gang. On my turn I drop a land and Pulse the tokens. He plays another land attacks with the a Ravine and the Commander
I Play a Thrinax and pass, he drops another land attacks with the Ravine that gets terminated.
Them I play a Siege-Gang who got Lightning Bolted but I got another Siege-Gang for my next turn, which sealed the deal.
2nd Game
He got a 3rd turn Blastminer into a 4th turn Siege-Gang into a 5th turn Siege-Gang GG,
3rd game
This time he has problems getting black mana and 2 Blastminers make sure he doesn’t get black mana before I’m done with him – I still had a Grim Discovery to get a Blastminer from the GY when the game ended.

So this is all folks.
P.s. There are certainly a lot of mistakes on the report. Since I didn’t make notes I’m doing this from memory which isn’t a exact science. Either way, the essential plays are there.

1 comment:

  1. "actually played some games with this against the Göertzen build and it was mostly 50/50 for my surprise, the Broodmate Dragon proved not to be such a game breaker than I actually though, since most time when we got to Broodmate Dragon mana one of us would be mostly dead."

    Isso já eu digo à muito tempo, mas ninguem acredita em mim. Os jogos de jund são definidos no inicio.

    ReplyDelete