Sunday 27 June 2010

Abyssal Jund


So, as I have seen yesterday's SCG 5k, one deck has caught my eye, Wescoe's Jund. I really like abyssal on the deck, since it provides great approach against Bant, Turboland and decks with Sphinx of Jwar Isle.
But I didn't like his side, so I will try as I write this post to merge my decklist with his, so I can get the best of the two worlds.


Wescoe's list:

4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [WWK] Raging Ravine
4 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
3 [7E] Swamp (1)
3 [6E] Mountain (4)
3 [LRW] Forest (2)

4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
2 [WWK] Abyssal Persecutor

4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
4 [ARB] Bituminous Blast
4 [ARB] Terminate

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
SB: 2 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 2 [ROE] Sarkhan the Mad
SB: 2 [M10] Doom Blade
SB: 2 [ROE] Prophetic Prism
SB: 2 [ROE] Forked Bolt
SB: 2 [ROE] All Is Dust
SB: 2 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage

As for my list:

2 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [WWK] Raging Ravine
4 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
3 [UNH] Forest
3 [UNH] Mountain
2 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
1 [M10] Rootbound Crag
4 [10E] Swamp

4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster

4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
1 [ROE] Sarkhan the Mad
4 [ARB] Bituminous Blast

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ROE] Sarkhan the Mad
SB: 4 [US] Duress
SB: 3 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch
SB: 1 [ALA] Necrogenesis
SB: 2 [PS] Terminate
SB: 1 [M10] Doom Blade
SB: 3 [WWK] Cunning Sparkmage

So the differences are:
Less a land from wescoe which was moved to the side, the rest of the mana base is the same.
Persecutors main, which are better than ruinblaster against mainly everything except mirror, and UW/UWr.
4 Terminates main, which is a good include.
But the great differences come at the sideboard.
The side against mirror e mostly the same for both.
Due to the great amount of spot removal from Wescoe’s side, it’s matchup against naya, mythic and dredge is better.
Against Bant it’s also better, since it has got persecutors, hemorrhage and more spot removal. Maybe all is dust also comes in?
Against UW/UWR, I think the sideboard is a little clunkier since I don’t like playing prophetic prism, all is dust is way too expensive and will be a great target for negate, since Wescoe doesn’t even have duresses to backup it up.
So I think I can hybridize both lists by cutting the up the less good cards from each.
So, on Wescoe’s lists, I would cut:
2 All is dust, 2 prophetic prism, 1 lavaclaw reaches, and would put the 2 doom blades on hold since it’s way too much removal.
On my list I would cut:
1 Necrogenesis, 3 Sparkmages, and maybe reduce 1 bloodwitch.
Merging the side’s together it becomes something like:
4 Goblin Ruinblasters
2 Sakhan the Mad
2 Thought Hemorrhage
4 Duress
2 Malakir Bloodwitch
2 Forked Bolt
16 Cards
So it all comes to extra 1 card and a land I would like to include, since I am more confortable playing 27. But since I have cutting some extra costing cards, I think I will be fine. I got 6 cards for mirror with the classic “Only 4 pulses to take out”, so I think I would cut one. A Sarkhan or a Blaster? I mean, since I am playing persecutors I do have to play 4 terminates and at least 2 Sarkhans for outs, so I think I would cut 1 ruinblaster. Another hypothesis is cutting also a duress, since I am also playing hemorrhage for the extra land on the side. So the latter is fine for me, cutting a duress for a land on the sb.
So, it’s all about cutting one sideboard card.
Let’s see.... against UW I got on the sb:

3 Duress
2 Malakir Bloodwitch
4 Goblin Ruinblaster
2 Hemorrhage?
1 Lavaclaw Reaches

And to take out I got:
4 Thrinaxes
4 Bolts
2 Bituminous Blast
2 Abyssal Persecutor

Seems good to me.
So yeah, I like my sideplan against control.
Which locks those cards.
The extra card is Sarkhan. I really wanna play forked bolt, I can be really good against mythic. I think I will risk cutting a Sarkhan.
Which leaves the final decklist something like:
// Lands
4 [M10] Dragonskull Summit
4 [WWK] Raging Ravine
4 [ALA] Savage Lands
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
1 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
3 [6E] Mountain (4)
3 [LRW] Forest (2)
3 [10E] Swamp (2)

// Creatures
4 [ARB] Bloodbraid Elf
4 [ARB] Putrid Leech
4 [ALA] Sprouting Thrinax
2 [WWK] Abyssal Persecutor

// Spells
4 [ALA] Blightning
4 [M10] Lightning Bolt
4 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
4 [ARB] Bituminous Blast
4 [ARB] Terminate

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WWK] Lavaclaw Reaches
SB: 4 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
SB: 1 [ROE] Sarkhan the Mad
SB: 2 [ROE] Forked Bolt
SB: 2 [ARB] Thought Hemorrhage
SB: 3 [M10] Duress
SB: 2 [ZEN] Malakir Bloodwitch
I am still pondering about cutting a dragonskull for a swamp/mountain.
As for the result, I think now I got better main mu against UW since I got more outs for baneslayer, post board I lose a Bloowitch, but I think I won’t be mattering much.
The matchup for mirror main deck loses a bit, but post board it becomes the same.
The other matchups all improve.
I think I will be testing with this now. If I see that the jund matchup has fallen critically I will just swap the abyssal + 2 terminates package for the ruinblasters.
Well, this was me for trying to improve my jund deck as I was writing this post.
Cya.



No comments:

Post a Comment